Friday, December 27, 2013

Snowflake Art!

I was inspired by a Pin on Pinterest…
this one---

For Christmas/Holiday/dontcelebrateanything gifts, my students made Snowflake art on canvases!
And let me tell you…
They turned out fabulous!
Here's my sample I created…

**Edited to add: I just realized that blue tack is deceiving… that blue tack is one of those GIANT tacks. HA! The painting is on an 8X10 canvas.**
-Went to Michael's and bought 3 packs of 10 8x10 canvases for $20 each (if I decide to do this again, I'll be purchasing each pack separately with a 40% coupon on each plus teacher discount).
-I also got silver crafting paint, assorted shades of blue, and a purple… I bought the medium sized paints (got the cheapest).
-Bought two colors of ribbon…light and dark blue for hanging.
-Used a staple gun to attach the ribbon/
-Bought two rolls of wrapping paper.
-Borrowed the paint brushes from the "Art/PTO room" shhhhhhhh ;)
-Used masking tape from school
-Used giant bulletin board paper for floor

First thing all the students did was put their name on the wood frame of canvas on back.
I called the kids to the long paper on floor in groups and spaced them out, since it was going to be a multi-step painting process.
And they painted a coat of silver to cover the canvas.
 Once that dried, students used masking tape to design the snowflake…






I modeled each step on the Elmo, then invited students to the paper…
Then students chose their paint colors and began painting…






SO MESSY! haha, but i loved every moment of it! and besides…that's what the paper was for…

Next, they carefully peeled off the tape. I don't think you should let it dry overnight…I'm thinking the tape would stick too much.
Here are the results! ALL IN ONE DAY (the painting part of it).



After school, I did go back and use the silver paint to touch up the bleeding parts on all the kids' paintings…it didn't take long. I didn't take a picture of the paintings after touching up…these are the "before touchups".
I let them dry overnight and the following day, the students chose their ribbon for hanging (I stapled the ribbon to the wood on back with a staple gun).
Then they wrapped the paintings up and attached a card!
LOOK AT THE DETAIL OF SOME OF THOSE SNOWFLAKES!!!
I was and still am…SO IMPRESSED!
And I have to tell you that the kids were so excited over this gift!  I hope the parents enjoyed the art as much as the kids enjoyed making them!

And while you're here… stop over at Fab and Fun in 4th!
She's giving away this adorable Scentsy Warmer for New Year's!
Click on the pic and it will take you to her blog!
Enjoy your day!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Love the snowflake art! Super cute! Thanks for sharing about my giveaway :)

    Bethany
    FabandFunin4th!

    ReplyDelete