Wednesday, November 13, 2013

NEED Conference for Science

Last week I attended the NEED (National Energy Education Development) Workshop at the Museum of Science and Industry.
After driving for THREE LONG hours in traffic (it's only an hour away)...I arrived about 40 minutes late.
Well, it was all awesome! We played all day, conducting experiments we can use in our classrooms!
 It's a FREE workshop. I paid for NOTHING. My school even gets reimbursed for the substitute through the NEED Project. They provided breakfast, lunch, parking... supplies...
At the end, I was able to choose a kit for either Wind Energy or Solar Energy support. I chose the Solar Energy Kit since we installed Solar Panels. We all walked away with a HUGE thingy of lesson plans! It was really cool.
How'd I find out about this? Last school year, I assisted in writing a grant for my school to receive solar panels. We won the grant, the solar panels were installed last month, and I was contacted to attend the workshop.
I asked some teachers who attended if I could snap some pics and they all agreed...

Here we built a wind turbine and our table had to conduct different experiments on the best gear ratios...
anchoredin3rdgrade.blogspot.com

Got the turbine assembled and working...
anchoredin3rdgrade.blogspot.com
 Several pics of us working...and a snapshot of my drive home, looking at Chicago.
anchoredin3rdgrade.blogspot.com
 This was at the beginning...
anchoredin3rdgrade.blogspot.com
We started off with the Science of Energy, then moved on to Wind Energy, and concluded the day with Solar Energy.
It was great! Lots of stuff to bring to the classroom.
You can visit the site here....
http://www.need.org/
It has TONS, and I mean TONS of great resources and LESSONS!!!!
See if a Workshop is near you anytime soon...They are ALL over the place! I highly recommend!

The information our school receives about our Solar Panels is relevant and easy to incorporate.
Sorry if this post was random...so are my thoughts today...









Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment