Saturday, November 16, 2013

Humbled and First Genius Hour Presentation!

It's been quite a week.
My Gram was admitted to the hospital. I stopped for a visit and she had no idea who I was.
Sad. She has dementia.
I sat with my uncle and visited for a couple hours.
A nurse came in to check on her and asked her if she knew where she was…
She replied (like the nurse was stupid for asking) "Yes! I'm right here!"
I couldn't help but chuckle. Although my Gram has no idea where she is and who people are… she's still happy. She's not mean…if she were, I think it'd be much harder to cope for the rest of my family.
My hat goes off to my Aunt... who is her caretaker AND works full time out of her home and such an inspiration!
I'm glad I stopped by the hospital.

One of the evenings on my way home last week, I had to snap a pic of the sky…

And one morning last week, I drove by a blade of a turbine being transported… Go wind energy!


We had our first Genius Hour presentation!
WOO HOO!
It was quite exciting!
Two boys worked together on a Solar System Project.
They created a diorama of the planets.
Now, I'm not exactly sure how this is all supposed to work… I'm just flying by the seat of my pants.
The boys presented and I allowed other students to ask questions.
After a while, I asked them what their original wonder was…
The student in yellow said, "oh, we didn't really answer that, but we have lots of fun facts".
The boy in green said, "See?! I guess that makes us even more GENIUS!"
HA! LOVED IT! And I didn't realize what a sense of humor the student in Green had!
I was beaming with pride!
Students asked great questions…and even debated… after that presentation…some students added "Wonders" to our Wonder Wall.
Excited for more!


Here are other students working on their projects. One is working on a Prezi presentation. Another is working on what the world looked like 50 billion years ago.

A former student invited me to sit on a panel as a Role Model for her Girl Scout Meeting. There were about 15 Girl Scouts and each invited a woman Role Model. The girls prepared questions to ask the panel of Role Models.
There were teachers, a lawyer, college student, vet tech, accountant, Marine, and a business owner.
As a girl would ask a question we would take turns answering.
Stories were shared, Memories talked about, Tears shed, Laughter was loud, and INSPIRATION happened!
I was moved.
I left the two hour gathering last night feeling wonderful.
What a fabulous group of women. I will be forever grateful to have been part of that.
I love that her poem says I'm loud…I totally am…I get so excited.

Today, we broke the budget and went out for lunch. Probably shouldn't have spent the money.
Since my husband works weekends at night, we don't get a lot of time together with our hectic schedules.
He sacrificed some sleep today, so we all went out. It was well worth it. We laughed and talked and laughed some more. The girls didn't even argue…THE WHOLE TIME.
Life is good.

Ended tonight by watching my oldest letting JJ, our Bearded Dragon, float around in the tub. He actually fell asleep!
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment