Sunday, July 21, 2013

10 Things I learned Linky and a FREEBIE!

Annnnnnd relax... whew.
8th grade graduation party done and fun! Huge success!
Last person left the house at 11:30 and we all had a blast! So glad it's over now.
I've been pretty lazy today. I feel like I have a hangover and I didn't have one drop of alcohol.

I'm linking up with Miss Kindergarten's Linky- 10 Things I've Learned from Teaching...
Every year I learn something new about teaching, about myself, about others...

1. Don't take things too seriously. Of course teaching is a serious thing! The future depends on us... but laugh and have fun! I learned this years ago when I was being too hard on myself and I was losing myself as a person and a teacher. I make it my mantra to laugh everyday! Find laughter in something no matter how bad or sad the day is.

2. I've learned to be empathetic...Sure I've been understanding...but I've really learned to listen to students, parents, other teachers...and truly see where they are coming from.

3. I've learned that my colleagues watch my face during meetings!!!! My face shows everything... ALWAYS has! I've always been known to have a million facial expressions. A couple years ago, a good friend said she watched my face in meetings! OMG. She said she could tell what I'm thinking about a topic by my face! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I'VE WORKED ON TRYING TO HAVE A POKER FACE?!?!?! FAIL. Now I just embrace it and try to be aware.

4. I learned to separate work and home...for the most part... I always have had to rush out the door after school to get home to my own kids. With my husband's work schedule and kids' activities, I gotta get home. I USED TO get home, attend to my kids...kinda...grade papers...and do other house stuff. I found myself ignoring my own children. NOW I still rush out of the door (kids' activities get worse as they get older) and I REALLY pay attention to my children. Grading and projects get done after they go to bed...I usually start grading or whatever at about 9. It's not too bad. 

5. I stay professional. I do not encourage any parents to call me by my first name and I don't befriend them during the school year. I do not call parents by their first names. Yes, I keep a professional wall up. AFTER the school year and that child has left...I might develop  or allow a friendship with a parent. I do not have parents as Facebook friends. I have a friend and when one daughter was in my class it was Mrs. xxxx...when the child moved on to 4th grade it was First Name...then I had another daughter and we were back to Mrs. xxxx. It IS possible to be friendly and professional.

6. Keep up with professional development. I consider myself good with keeping up with trends and what's best for the classroom. Now, I don't adopt every trend, but I am informed. I read lots and love trying new things in the classroom.

7. Keep it REAL. I love to bring real life into the classroom and the classroom into real life. I believe in life lessons... if we study a tree...I bring in a tree trunk or we collect leaves and research... I bring in real worms... We read stories, we share personal stories.

8. I learned that it's OK to get off topic! Kids have a story for everything and I've learned to embrace and listen...as long as it fits the lesson. Some of my best lessons evolved into something else or something even more great from a student's story.

9. I learned that I can turn my swearing on and off. HAHA. I have the worst mouth. I know, I know! It's horrible. I swear soooo badly. In front of my children... I NEVER swore in front of a student or parent. Now, in the Teacher's Lounge...Cuss On... game on. I apologize to any newbies up front... I still don't swear in front of my own parents even though my siblings do! I can turn that sh** on and off. Someone once referred to me as their "favorite foul-mouthed teacher".  HAHA. 

10. I LOVE MY JOB. I REALLY do! REALLY.  It's not always a cakewalk. There are times I've hit a LOW and contemplated leaving the profession...but teaching is who I am...I am determined to make a difference. I'm determined to help. I'm determined to turn all students into lovers of learning. I'm determined to let my voice be heard in what's best for students and teachers! 

Well, now that I'm on a roll, I could keep going about things I've learned over 15+ years! But I will force myself to stop...for now.

NEXT up! Farley is hosting a $100 giveaway to spend at School Outfitters! Can you imagine a $100 shopping spree to a teacher store?!?!?!? I hope I win, I hope I win... Give yourself a chance and enter!

Lastly...
I created these bookmarks that I will have ready for my students...either at open house (before school starts) or on the first day of school. I LOVE them.
Enjoy! If you download them from my TPT Store...please leave me some love AND FOLLOW me!

If you are here on my page, please follow my Google and Bloglovin!

This week is my BLOGIVERSARY...one year...

So keep your eyes peeled for a giveaway!

Photobucket

12 comments:

  1. Ahahahaha I LOVE number 9! I'm exactly the same!!!

    x Serena x
    Magic Mistakes and Mayhem

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are like long lost sisters! We seem to have so much in common!

      Delete
    2. Oh my freaking goodness.... interpret that in your normal swearing mode and you'll know what I was really saying... I don't know how I missed number 3 on the way through but THAT IS EXACTLY ME TOO! I've been told off by my friends since I was in high school for so blatantly showing what I'm thinking on my face... I was at a good friends kids first birthday party just recently and my friends Dad walked in (the grandad of the birthday girl) with his new gf.... who was not much older than we were (I'd heard all about her and of course was not a fan)- from across the room I heard a friend hiss "Serena! Your face!" hahaha! Apparently my disgust was clear for everyone to see... whoops!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through the linky and am your newest follower. I so agree with #1. I try to not take thing to seriously too! I can't wait to read more post. If you get a chance come check out my top 10. Thanks for sharing.

    Jamie
    teachingtidbit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I'll be on my way to stop by you!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the bookmarks. Our school theme is music based and they are perfect!!

    Patti
    One Class, One Sound

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing the bookmarks. Our school theme is music based and they are perfect!!

    Patti
    One Class, One Sound

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a great list! I am always shocked when I find out teachers are FB friends with students or parents, I just think that is a problem waiting to happen. Thanks for the bookmarks, they are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Autumn - Happy Blogaversary! I do love your blog. I signed up for that blogger back to school exchange, too. Wouldn't it be fun if we got each other? My face always betrays me, especially when I blush - it still happens to this day - must be a sign of youth.
    susan k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! And those little bookmarks are adorable! Thanks for linking up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed reading your list! I relate to everything you said! Thanks for sharing!
    Teaching 3rd with Mr G

    ReplyDelete