Friday, May 17, 2013

Budding Blog and Five for Friday 5/17

Happy Friday!
Not too many Fridays left of the school year...
It's been crazy and fabulous at the same time!


First, I'm linking up with I {heart} Recess and her Budding Blog Linky for those of us with less than 200 followers.
 Here are the FIVE questions...
1. Why did you start blogging?
2. What is your favorite subject to teach and why?
3. Describe your teaching style.
4. Give three interesting facts about you.
5. Do you have a TpT store? If yes, post the link :)

And HERE are MY five answers:
1. I started blogging because I love to talk! I love to be out there and share ideas and get ideas. I say what's on my mind (although I admit to being a little more careful about what I say when I blog...hmmmm...). I love to stalk other blogs and love getting replies or feedback.

2. I don't have ONE favorite subject to teach. I have favorite topics in each subject. I have a Master's in Curriculum and Instruction and I'm very hands on, especially with the kids. I like to bring real life to all the lessons I can. I'm BIG in teaching about the environment and compassion.

3. LOL my teaching style... I have HIGH expectations and am a tough "grader". I am energetic, loud, crazy, and love chaotic structure. So, my class is structured and I teach my students when it's ok to joke and when it's time to be serious (although there's always fun in seriousness). We often get off topic with questions and my students learn to question lots. They are thinkers and questioners. I am always on the go with learning and take every opportunity to learn something new or explore. I get VERY excited.

 4. Interesting???
 ~I used to twirl the baton back in the 80's as a kid and marched in parades.
~I swear/cuss... A LOT (it's amazing how I can turn it off and on)
~I love music and sing all the time...at home, in the car, in class...and I'm not even good---but I don't care

 5. I have a TPT store and am amazed at how many people have downloaded my stuff! There's not a whole lot in it...but peeps like it!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Anchored-In-3rd-Grade


AND second...Five for Friday!

Here's my week-

1. Baby Robins... The baby robins in my kids' playhouse/swingset hatched this week! So adorable! And the pic was perfect for class to discuss Habitats! So sweet!


2. 4th Grade Chicks...One teacher let me borrow the bucket of chicks for the kids to play with. We all sat in a big oval and let the chicks run around, climb on us, and explore. We alllll loved to hold them!


3. Poetry Jam... Each year 3rd grade studies poetry and as a culminating activity, we invite all the parents in to our classrooms to listen to the kids recite their own poetry or poetry by another author.
HUGE SUCCESS! Parents adored it and the kids did a fantastic job! Here-we are getting our background ready...

4. P!NK... My students are well aware of my Love for P!nk... This week one of my loves brought me a copy of the latest Glamour Magazine because Pink is on the cover! SO THOUGHTFUL!

5. iPads... Been working with Geoboards in fractions... Students completed an assignment/activity so I let them "play around" on the Geoboard App. They were soooo creative. It was nice to see how creative they can get...

That's all for now! I know, it's a long post... but fun!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Photobucket





11 comments:

  1. Hi "Budding Blogger!" I'm already following or I would definitely connect. :) I love your poetry jam! :) Looks like so much fun.
    Brandee @ Creating Lifelong Learners

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brandee! The kids work hard on Poetry Jam!

      Delete
  2. I love Pink too! And my vocabulary tends to decline as soon as I walk out of the earshot of students... I feel ya! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That geoboard app looks great.
    I came over for the budding blogger post, but scrooled down to find it. Very cool. I'm going to have to try that.

    thanks
    matt
    Digital: Divide & Conquer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for linking up! I too swear a lot, military brat & wife is my excuse :) Love your teaching description, I was recently told I am a "hard" grader as well.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind being a hard grader...If people want to complain that I have high expectations and their kids learn too much...so be it. I take that as a compliment!

      Delete
  5. Oh! I just found your blog as I was searching for third grade teachers. You have so much to share and your style sounds a lot like mine. I call it organized chaos. I am moving to third grade next year... any advice??'

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I love 3rd grade because they are little enough to still do some crafty things and old enough to really start thinking. I can still be goofy and very serious and the same time and they still adore me...haha. Be firm first...then fun later. My kids learned when to turn the sillies on and off. I have lots more, but that's a good start :) Thanks for following! I love finding other 3rd grade teachers!

      Delete
  6. Hello. I am your most recent follower on your blog. I found your blog on I Heart Recess, and you have a lot of enthusiasm, and it shows - I like the way you write. Please feel free to pop over to my blog, too. I only have one follower so far - I just figured out how to add the follower gadget yesterday.
    Thanks for sharing your ideas,
    Susan
    http://pinkwatermelons.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete