Saturday, February 16, 2013

Proud Parent, SUBTRACTION, Lasagna


What a week! It was FANTASTIC!
Last Sunday, after Big-kid's Confirmation (woo hoo!) I got a call on my cell phone (number I didn't recognize)...then on our home phone...ARGH, it was her Principal! Why is he calling on a Sunday Night?! Oh no, what has happened?!
Well, it was just to invite my husband and me to a Breakfast because she's held a 4.0 or above all of Jr. High! WOW! So Proud...
THEN Monday after school she comes home to tell us she is one of four being considered for VALEDICTORIAN! I always knew she was bright...but never knew how she measured against her peers. SO PROUD! As far as I'm concerned...she IS the Valedictorian!

LATER in the week...Mid-Kid comes home and tells us she won the class talent show and is moving forward to the school-wide talent show! How Exciting! She and a friend are performing the "cup song"...you know the one from Pitch Perfect....I was all ACA-SCUSE ME?! You're advancing?! FABULOUS! Her friend does the beat with the cups and Mid-Kid sings the song.

Subtraction...
In November I attended the NCTM Conference in Chicago. Day started out quite interesting. My teacher friend and I boarded the train to downtown at 6 AM...then we were so punished lucky to get into "Cowboy Cabby's" Cab! Um....google it.. find him on YouTube... Let's just say it was about 7 AM and we had to listen to a man whose prime was in the 60's...BLAST disco music...all while clicking on and off the black light on the disco ball... Did I mention it was 7 AM?!?!?! I couldn't stop laughing as he shouted at us (because the music was so so loud) and showed us his claim to fame article in the newspaper...all laminated for all to view.

We then arrive at the convention center...I attend the first presentation on my agenda and about 25 minutes into it...the presenter VOMITS all over...not in a trash can...all over. I really felt bad for her...but my day wasn't getting any better... More so-so presentations later...

I get to the LAST presentation of the day...I was exhausted  thrilled to be there... WELL-Let-Me-Tell-You... it was the best presentation of the DAY! I walked out of that 60 minute presentation with other ways to SUBTRACT. Who would have known?!?! How have I been teaching for 15 years and NOT KNOW THIS?!

Now on pages 6-7, you will see an algorithm from France...
TRY IT, USE IT, PRACTICE IT!!!! I'm so not kidding. I tried it with my class and it was AMAZING how fast the kids caught on! It made SUBTRACTING with regrouping EASIER! We practiced on whiteboards several times and I gave a homework assignment where they had to use the "Give, Give It Back" (as I call it).... Parents were skeptical...But it was a HUGE, GINORMOUS SUCCESS! I am telling you...TRY IT!

click on any picture below and it will take you to my TPT store to download a free copy...




Now, on to Lasagna... so today I made a lovely, delicious (if I do say so myself) pan of home made lasagna. I made my own home made sauce... we all sat down with some garlic bread, lasagna and enjoyed our yummy dinner...after tummies were full...I went ahead and put the pan on the stove to cool before storing the left-overs...Those who know me can predict what I'm about to say...

...
...
...
...
...
...
I'm working on this post, as a matter of fact, the kids are downstairs playing darts with their dad...and I hear a noise coming from the kitchen....
...I look over and my beloved in big trouble Labrador Retriever...Jack...is helping himself to the pan of lasagna! I screamed like in a horror movie... my husband ran up the stairs...Jack ran to hide by the couch...the other two dogs were eating what he dropped...and that's the sad sad story of lasagna.
My full day's work on one pan of lasagna....gone by way of big black meanie pants Jack. He's been lying on the floor beside the couch since I screamed and hasn't budged.

Besides sad lasagna...It's been a wonderful week and I'm enjoying the weekend!
Enjoy Presidents' Day off!

Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. It's like that scene in "A Christmas Story"! ***** Bumpuses!!

    ReplyDelete