Sunday, January 20, 2013

Animal Cells, Adjectives, Rock Star Student Rocks!



Well HEY! I'm feeling great! We've had lots going on at home and in the classroom! It's been super busy, but I'm feeling fabulous!

Before Winter Break, we studied animal cells. The easiest animal cell to observe, in my opinion, is an egg. We call it an "Eggsperiment". It's a great lesson from "The Magic School Bus Cracks an Egg". The day before the "eggsperiment", we discussed the basic parts of a cell (in 3rd grade terms)...the Nucleus, the Cell Membrane, the Vacuoles, and Cytoplasm and defined them. The following day I wrote "Eggsperiment Today" on the assignment board to get the students' attention. There was lots of chatter when they walked in and saw it. I could hear the kids asking each other "what do you think she's going to do with an egg", "are we playing a game", "are we eating them"?

When we arrived at our Science time, we brainstormed the parts of the egg...as usual the students came up with shell, yolk, and white stuff. I said...hmmmm, what would you say if I told you there are 8 parts to an egg?! They said...No way! So, I cracked an egg into a ziplock baggie and showed the different parts on the Elmo/Projector. We went over the labels, passed out eggs, baggies, recording sheets, and got started!


Big Success! I love the day after the "Eggsperiment" because the kids run home to share their new knowledge with parents!

We also worked on Adjectives! We made an anchor chart together to define adjectives...

Then I passed out magazines (I keep magazines on hand at all times for class projects-parents donate school appropriate mags for us)...Each student choose a picture from a magazine and had to write as many adjectives as they could to describe their picture. There was LOTS of discussion between students and it was FABULOUS to hear them helping each other come up with "better, non-jailed" words.


 

Since the beginning of the year, I've had a Rock Star of the Week. I LOVE doing this! It's been so fun for the students and ME. My absolute favorite part of each week is the day the parents have to write a letter to the class. Some of these letters have made me teary-eyed, giggle, or laugh so hard I cry! Here's a copy of the letter I send home to parents...
 LOL On the TEENY TINY pic! Just click on it and it will bring you to my TPT store to download.

At the end of the week, each student in the class signs a guitar with the honored student's photo in the center. Each student has to say something they think the Rock Star is good at, or a general positive/personal message...On the back, I glue the letter the parents wrote and laminate the guitar for a 3rd grade memento. 
Here's an example of one of the guitars.
Have a great week! Enjoy the extra day off!

Photobucket


1 comment:

  1. Where did you find the guitars or did you make them?

    ReplyDelete