Friday, December 28, 2012

SNOW?! Buddy the Elf, Snowflake Pronouns

Snow? Really? This is what they are calling snow? My kids were all excited to see some snow falling from the sky..and this is what they ended up with...
 They were disappointed to say the least. I guess living near Chicago and it's Winter Break, I could go for some snow too... But you know that snow is just waiting until I have to get in my car and drive in it! Well there's still another week to wait for it to come down!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE the movie Elf! It's my favorite Christmas movie. When Elf came out...it trumped allllll the other movies. We constantly quote it around the house. I even change my cell phone voice mail greeting to "Buddy the Elf, What's your favorite color?"

So, after seeing an adorable Pin on Pinterest with Buddy and the quote "Don't Be a Cotton-Headed-Ninny-Muggins"...I HAD to come up with my own twist!
I saw another idea using Pronouns on flower petals on Pinterest, so I combined two ideas into my idea and IT'S BEEN A HUGE HIT! The 4th graders stop, look, and read! Teachers have been stopping and reading...My students have been so excited about it, they've been telling parents! SUCCESS!

What I did was create Buddy of course...and I did it while students were working independently (because I was short on time)...well, they were so curious what I was creating...and WHY I was creating it! They mistakenly thought they were going to make a crafty elf...wrong! They had to WORK at this! The students had to take what we learned about pronouns and apply some knowledge.

I found 3 snowflake patterns and simply ran them off on blue and white copy paper.
We brainstormed the pronouns we learned in 3rd grade...I picked sticks and handed out pronouns and snowflakes to each student... 

The students had to put the pronoun in the center... and on each arm of the snowflake, they had to write a noun the pronoun took the place of... It wasn't as easy as they thought it was going to be. I had to reinforce using sentences to make sure the pronoun/nouns agreed and made sense...
Here's a pic of how the bulletin board started coming together...

Don't Be A Cotton-Headed Ninny-Muggins...Use Pronouns Properly
This is the only photo I took before running out the door leaving for break.
Imagine more snowflakes...24 to be exact...

You can see these two examples of how the students wrote on their flakes...

Just another idea to use! 

Also, if you have a moment, be sure to stop over at Bright Concepts 4 Teachers. Jaime is hosting a 200 follower give away! 

What fun interactive boards have you made?! Please share!
Photobucket 

4 comments:

  1. Love your buddy the elf board very clever! :)
    Just found your blog through the giveaway and I made I had to follow you because your button and background is the colors of my classroom and great minds think alike! Ha! I lol forward to reading more about your class.
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for finding me and deciding to follow! I hope I can offer something to you also!

      Delete
  2. Love this idea! I'll have to adapt it for after Christmas when we do pronouns! (I'm your newest follower!)
    Mary

    Pitner's Potpourri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! On Pinterest I saw a flower version of the Pronouns... The pronoun was in the center and the petals were filled with the nouns. Thanks for following! :)

      Delete